Tuesday, April 11, 2006

going gentle into that good night

We often say that you never know when it will be the last time you see someone. But sometimes you do. This past week my parents went to see a dear friend knowing that it would be the last time they saw her. She had been sick for several weeks, but, now finally receiving proper care, she seemed to be improving and was told she would recover. Then last Saturday word came that she had a very rare form of cancer and would not survive more than a week. What do you say when you know you are seeing your friend for the last time? When you have known someone for over 30 years? When two of your children were born only days apart and grew up together?

We often talk about the importance of fighting against disease, of not giving up. And believe me, I think that is important. As someone whose mother fought cancer and survived, I am so thankful that she didn’t give up. But today, I salute my friend Mrs. Schroeder for having the courage to go gentle in that good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home