Thursday, April 20, 2006

just blowing smoke???

My quest for rest this week has hit a snag. This morning I thought, ‘well, I’ll just get a quick start on the web research for this paper, and then I’ll take the afternoon off’. That was almost seven hours ago. Why could I not resist the temptation to research? It’s because of the topic. The paper is about gender issues in the emerging church.

Almost every book I’ve read on the emerging church has something to say about gender. It’s usually a sentence about how women and men are treated equally in the emerging church, and how diversity is valued. And then the author goes back to whatever he (yes, usually he) was saying before he paused to show us how inclusive he is. But after spending time looking into the issue a little more, I have to ask, is the emerging church just blowing smoke about women in leadership? As someone who considers herself a part of the emergent conversation, I’m directing this question towards myself as much as anyone else.

A lot of the discussion I saw today looked really familiar. In fact, it was the same old discussion we’ve been having in the traditional church for the last 20 years. There are people saying that women should be ‘allowed’ in leadership because they provide a nurturing, caring approach. (To me, this is insulting to both men and women because a) shouldn’t women be in leadership because they’re capable humans too? and b) it continues to perpetuate the idea that all men are insensitive jerks (well, straight men, at least). There are people who believe married women can be in leadership because they are “under the covering of a male”, but single women “should be counted out of leading” (For more on that one, see the comments on the post found here.) By the way, there are some people who wonder if that’s not just smoke screen for the real argument that we don’t really know what to do with single women in the church, and that they can’t be trusted—see Jenny Baker’s post here

Then, of course, there are people who shove a certain passage from 1 Timothy down our throats. (I’ve always wondered if the revolutionary part of that passage wasn’t that women should learn in “quietness and full submission”, but that women should learn. Of course Paul wasn’t going to tell every 1st century woman to start teaching—they’d never had the opportunity to learn, so why would they suddenly teach? Okay, now I’m on a tangent, sorry.)

I’m going to be writing this paper for awhile, so I’m sure this will be the first of many posts on this topic. (Translation: I’d better shut up before this gets even longer). But I will leave you with some interesting stats:

--At the recent Evolving Church Conference 2006 by Ephiphaniea Inc, there were three main speakers and seven other session leaders. Only one of them was a woman, and she was leading a session on ‘the voice of minorities’.


--But most women just aren’t as interested in speaking at conferences, right? Women are more involved at the grassroots level, right? Well, on one rather extensive list of emerging blogs (http://emergingchurchblogs.info/), out of 179 bloggers listed, 11 of them are women.

--But women just aren’t as into technology, right? Women are more involved in ‘interpersonal networking’, right? Tell me, for those of you involved in emerging networks, how many women are part of your network? (And that’s an actual question that I’d love an answer for, I’m not being sarcastic. Okay, I’m not just being sarcastic.)

4 Comments:

Blogger j.nobel said...

this is such a hot topic for me too. i find organized religion tends to be very hypocritical and prone to lip-service on this subject. you know, synthesize the debate and the issue will go away. so few people see paul as the radical feminist he surely must have been, contextually speaking, and even put a twisted interpretation of paul's words over those of Christ. after all, who did He first give the great commission to? the men who bravely set out to visit His tomb? i have yet to see a portrayal of the 'inferior/weaker than men' view of women anywhere in scripture, but rather views of strength, integrity, and the like. personally, i think the repression of feminine strength in the church stems from masculine fear and insecurities.

but, i could rant for quite a while. i'll leave it at this for now.

9:01 p.m.  
Blogger chris said...

Hey Jules - Glad to see someone else wrestling honestly (and occasionally sarcastically) with this. There are truly so many mixed messages out there. Reading your blog I've realized that sadly I'm less perturbed by the injustice of the way we marginalize and categorize eachother than I once was. Keep ranting - until it bugs us enough to think, pray and wrestle...
To answer your specific question, in a little group of oh about 10-12 gathered last month to start some "emergent church conversation", there were 3 women... I'd say we were pretty much equal participants with everyone else. There was a very clear mutual respect for where people were at and were coming from. Maybe the age thing is as big a roadblock for you or other young women as gender is?

10:59 p.m.  
Blogger BD said...

Very good. Plenty interesting angles on the subject out there...

9:36 a.m.  
Blogger julia said...

Chris, I definitely think you're right with the age thing. And I also definitely recognize that I need to take some personal responsibility when it comes to speaking up in meetings/gatherings, because my tendency to sit in silence doesn't exactly help! I think one of the things that will come out of writing this paper is, not only taking a look at how some men (some, not all) keep women out of the conversation, whether intentionally or not, but also how a lot of women are keeping themselves out of the conversation and why.

5:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home